Saturday 21 July 2012

Motor now installed in car, fabricated bracket so motor would hang off of existing engine mounts.



When I finally got the motor installed I could not resist jacking wheels off floor and trying the motor with a 12 volt battery, Wow, it works even in reverse, so far so good.

I have fitted a vacuum pump for the brakes along with a small vacuum tank, controlled by a switch to maintain correct negative pressure.
This system replaces the vacuum created by the original ICE for the brake servo assist.
Also to the left of the vacuum tank you can see the electric power steering pump I've plumbed in to replace the pump normally driven by the ICE



Since fitting the motor into the TT I have selected and ordered a soliton 1 controller, this is probably big time over kill for the performance I require but its probably the best all round DC controller out there, rated up to 340v and a 1000 amps and programable from most PC's.
Gives me lots of options.

Batteries are my main concern in ths conversion, I want a minmum of 50 miles range with performance comparable to an average car,but not the original tt performance.
After reading much about battery types I've come to accept that lithium is the way to go, although very exspensive they are less than half the weight with more power than lead acid. I have seen many EV conversions on varrious websites etc that have used lead acid battery packs and have had poor range / performance.

After some thought I decided the best place for the batteries, or at least most of the batteries is where the rear seat is, as it is actually not usable just like most sports cars, also this position is reasonably centred between the front and rear wheels to spread the load and hopfully avoid that overloaded look when all the weight is at one end or the other.

Decided not to cut the floor out as in this position theres a lot of structural fabrication and could compromise the strength of the car, so I created a flat surface using aluminium box section, to which I plan to fit a suitibly sized box 1000mm x 550mm x 300mm high. this will give me maximum available space in this area.
Hopfully I will create a removable lid and upholster to blend with the TT's interior, thats the plan anyway.
Having a gym at the end of your garden has its uses, I decided to simulate the battery weight to see how the car will sit loaded up, the total weight of batteries will be roughly 230kg so that means around 160kg will sit where the rear seat is and the remainder either at the front or the rear so this is what I did.

 The TT looked fine with the weight in this position but when I put the remaining 70kg in the rear the TT looked low at the back or, um? high at the front.
 It became plain to see, the remaining 70kg had to go at the front not the rear, that meant constructing a battery box in front of the motor under the bonnet, this was a pain to achieve the space where I wanted it but I got there in the end using 20mm steel box section and 2mm aluminium plate. See below,

My next phase will be installing controller and sourcing battery pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment